Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Can Digg it

So, I have known about the website "Digg" since I was in my Junior year of high school. My best friends would chat in our Theatre 4 class about all the crazy and awesome articles they saw on it. Then whenever I began to look at websites they started to pop up with these little buttons with a D on them. I've been hearing about Digg for years and never fully understood what it was until I entered my Public Relations and Social Media class this year. We've been reading and discussing a book called The New Rules of Public Relations & Marketing. This wonder of a book has opened my eyes to how much the world wide web, and websites like Digg, our changing the way we think of public relations. Traditionally practicioners had to send loads of press releases to the media. But now, we are able to skip these traditional channels with the use of blogs, twitter and other social media devices. Websites like Digg, Technorati, Reddit (my personal favorite) and Mashable are helping journalists develop stories without having to receive thousands of useless press releases. We are in a new era of "pulling" journalists and the media to our stories. We no longer have to push (or beg, if you will) for our stories to make it into major magazines, television shows or newspapers. Not only that, but websites like Digg and Reddit already have thousands of subscribers, so those stories reach readers without even having to touch a traditional media source. I can totally Digg that :)


Lauren

food for thought: "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."

woah, that's neat: www.8tracks.com < Do you like music? Then you'll love this website.


1 comment:

  1. I am definitely on the same boat as you. I had always heard of sites such as Digg and Mashable, but never truly understood the significance of these sites upon entering our social media class. These sites have really changed the way journalists and PR professionals exchange stories and ideas.

    Being able to publish a press release on a Web site has really made PR professionals' jobs much simpler. When we went to the Lima News my sophomore year, the editor of the paper said the majority of press releases sent to the Lima News were thrown away in the trash. Instead of getting rejected, PR professionals now have an easier way to get the stories they want out to the public.

    As a future PR professional I think these mediums are the best way to publish a press release. If the story is getting comments on the web, then a journalist can decide whether to publish the story to the rest of the public. So everybody wins in this situation.

    ReplyDelete