Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Show Must Go On

So, my show is over! This weekend was our schools performance of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and it was wonderful. The show is A) hilarious and B) so much fun to be in. Its about a group of misfit kids who enter a spelling bee with crazy hosts, lively music and funny situations. I was so lucky to be a part of this show. It was really one of my first times to ever really be showcased as a lead, and I was so grateful for the opportunity to shine! I was also extremely lucky because my school brought in an outside director for the show. She is from New York and was such a great creative mind to work with. She was always prepared for rehearsals and always expected the cast to do their best. She was the reason that the show was so well put together. She had great vision and worked with us until everything was perfect. During the run of the show this weekend and during some of our later rehearsals she cried a lot. She showed how much she cared about us and how proud she was of our advancements as performers and people. I know that I grew as a performer from working with her! She forced us to be smart, thinking actors and to pursue excellence. The cast was also so perfect. Every person fit their character well and ran with their funny quirks. One of the characters was supposed to be extremely ADHD and you would've honestly thought that this kid was in real life too. He was so believably funny and well-cast. The performances this weekend were stressful, but so worth it. In total I had six performances from last Thursday to this Sunday, and spent an accumulated 50 hours in the theatre this past week. I don't think people sometimes realize how much work we put into productions. The kids on our campus that are in athletics always complain about a two hour practice or having to go work-out at the gym. I'm not saying that they don't have dedication or that their schedules aren't difficult, but I literally will be in a theatre for five hours a night sometimes in rehearsals. Its a difficult process to put on a show, but the end outcome is so perfect. The audiences that came to see our show ate it up. They laughed with us and cried with us and had an all around great time. I was so excited because my mom and grandparents had a chance to fly up to come see it! They came to five out of the six shows, and it was nice knowing that I always had fans in the audience. This was a bit of a bittersweet performance, because I don't know when the next time I will get to perform in a show will be. I've dropped my Musical Theatre major and will now just be pursuing Public Relations. Although I may not be taking up theatre as a career anymore, I will never stop performing. The thrill I get from singing, dancing and acting is too much for me to ever let go. But, for now it is on to the next big project that I can get my hands in to!


Lauren



food for thought: "All men of action are dreamers." - James Huneker

woah, that's neat: http:/www.videojug.com/tag/accents << For all of you aspiring actors out there! This is a great place to work on your accents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment