Saturday, October 15, 2011

Social Media Movements

So, today I went to the most amazing session at PRSSA National Conference. There was a wonderful speaker from Brains of Fire named Geno Church. I went into the session thinking it would be your typical social media talk. "Well, Facebook is really neat for these reasons: blah blah blah and you know Twitter is a really cool interface too. Foursquare is a great way to....blah blah blah etc." I already know enough about Social Media. I'm a Generation Y baby for crying out loud! Geno Church however, blew me away. He barely even reference social media. The only real time he spoke about using it was when he wrote the acronym "WTF" in the Wordpress, Twitter and Facebook logos. Church encouraged us aspiring practitioners to create movements. Campaigns have an end, they're sort of like an off and on switch. Campaigns are wars with our customers, trying to change their perceptions of us by force and with useless and impersonal tactics. A movement however, inspires change. It encourages our followers to take it upon themselves to spread our message. A movement is like a volume dial, sometimes it is just a hum in the background while at other times it is as loud as possible. I loved this way of thinking. So many times in PR we do things because we're told to and because it is the "norm." We are encouraged to make a Facebook and a Twitter and a blog because we are "PR people" and that is just what we do. I want to make a difference and a change in this profession. We need to start crafting REALLY compelling and personal messages with our customers. We truly need to have conversations with them. They are the ones crafting our messages, we just need to set up the basic principles and let our customers run with it. They are the ones who will help to advocate us in the long run and who will be the ones promoting us through word of mouth. It we can make a movement sexy or life-changing or just worth sharing I think that is a step in the right direction. Mr. Church's talk today really made me realize why I am so excited to be in this field. We are creating and truly maintaining conversations. I am so excited to see where my profession takes me.



Lauren Tennet


food for thought: "One must never look for happiness: one meets it by the way"- Isabelle Eberhardt

woah, that's neat: http://wonderopolis.org/ << a movement that Mr. Church set up to encourage literacy and connect teachers, parents and students

No comments:

Post a Comment