Monday, November 7, 2011

Grocery Shopping, Or How I Became a Big Kid

So, I think I have kind of realized that I am an adult now. I know I turned eighteen almost two years ago... but I was just a baby then. I was in high school living a spoiled and rich life. My dad was retired when I was a senior in high school, so I had it pretty good. Every morning I would wake up to breakfast and a packed lunch. I never did my laundry or took out the trash. My father always did all that stuff for me. Sure I made my bed every day and would take my dog on a walk every now and then, but that really is nothing. Now, I'm in college and reality is hitting me square in the face. I have to do the dishes now. I have to go grocery shopping. I have to make my bed, do my laundry and make sure I fill my car up with gas. I don't have my parents coming into my room at 10:30 every night to tell me it's bed time (yes, 10:30 was my bed time until my senior year of high school). I have grown up, or would like to think I have. Not only are these petty tasks starting to pile up on me, but the tough decisions of life are starting to face me too. Will I get into law school? Will I be able to provide for a family in the future? Will I make enough money to not have to live at home? Even in the face of life decisions, I'm still just a kid. I have so much ahead of me and so much to learn about life. I've started to learn to not sweat the small stuff, to focus on the bigger and happier picture of my life. Now, I just need to get that pile of laundry out of the corner before I run out of underwear!


Lauren



food for thought: "Knowledge is the true organ of sight, not the eyes." - Panchatantra

woah, that's neat: http://www.seatguru.com/ << Find the best seats on your next flight!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this post. I'm almost 22 years old and I still find that these "petty" tasks sneak up on me almost every week. There is just not enough time in the day to get everything done and these big questions will probably always be in the back of our minds! But we learn something new everyday and you are only as old as you act!

    ReplyDelete